It all started in 1840 when Thomas J. Emery, an English settler, began selling candles and lamp oils from his store front on Water Street in Cincinnati. The Emery Candle Company was founded on the principles of quality, value, service and innovation. Thomas Emery Jr. continued the legacy by hiring scientist, Dr. Ernest Twitchell who invented a process for spliting fats and isolating stearic acid form tallow. This discovery lead to a superior wax formula that created a white sturdy dripless candle. (Dr. Twitchell received the prestegious Perkin Medal in science.)
After suffering from a severe flood and devistating fire, The Emery Candle Company moved to a larger facility in St. Bernard.
By the turn of the century, Emery Candle Company, firmly established in the American market, was a major exporter of candles and chemicals to Europe.